About this good practice
A waste sorting plant with optical sorting machine built, which selects municipal solid waste. The new facility separates the mixed municipal solid waste collected from the region.
A modern technological system realized here, with which the current waste management methods can be transformed.
With the new equipment, the sorting of mixed municipal solid waste, which is a potential environmental load, will be carried out in an environmentally friendly way, so the valuable materials in the waste could be recycled and the amount of landfilled waste could be reduced.
The development maintains and operates the selective solid waste management system and unburdens the municipal solid waste landfills in the area.
The solution was the development of a waste sorting plant with optical sorting machine
The machine is able to select two types of materials. One is PVC, which damages power plant boilers and therefore needs to be removed, the other is PET bottles, which have a market value and are recyclable.
Stakeholders and beneficiaries
• Zalaegerszeg city and other associated towns and villages
The total cost of the project was 3.8 million EUR.
Evidence of success
The capacity of the development: 60.000 tons waste processed annually from which
• 51% Bio-organic matter (approx. 30,000 tons / year)
• 12% Materials and silicates containing PVC
• 14% Recyclable materials (PET, Fe, Al ...)
As the result of the development, the amount of waste landfilled is reduced to 63 percent.
Potential for learning or transfer
• The implementation of the practice requires the support of the national waste management agency
• This kind of project can be used to attract new investments in the waste management system
• Can be considered as a good practice for other regions