On 18 and 19 June 2019, the Policy Learning Platform oganized a peer review that took place in Sofia, Bulgaria. The event was hosted by the Executive Agency Science and Education for Smart Growth Operational Programme, Ministry of Education and Science of Bulgaria.
Find the summary report of the peer review policy recommendations.
Centres of Excellence and Centres of Competence are key innovation infrastructures in advanced regional innovation systems. In Bulgaria, they aim to attract highly qualified researchers within a triple helix arrangement. Involving public organisations, private companies, and universities to generate leading applied research, experimental development, and technological innovations in sectors prioritised in the country’s Research and Innovation Strategies for Smart Specialisation (RIS3).
The peer review focused on the following two centres:
- One Centre of Excellence dedicated to 'Mechatronics and clean technologies'
- One Centre of Competence dedicated to 'Clean technologies for sustainable environment – water, waste, energy for the circular economy'
Peers from across Europe
- Ninetta Chaniotou, Director of International Cooperation Projects, Kainuun Etu OY (Finland)
- Ger Van der Kerkhof, Senior Account Manager EU Affairs at European Liaison Officer Flanders Make (Belgium)
- Vojtek Helikar, Senior Business Consultant CEITC, Brno University of Technology (Czech Republic)
- Leena Sarvaranta, Head of EU Affairs, VTT Technical Research Center of Finland, Espoo (Finland)
- Tadas Tumenas, advisor at Ministry of the Economy and Innovation of The Republic of Lithuania, Vilnius (Lithuania)
The main objective for participants of the peer review was to be among the key instruments for achieving the objectives adopted by Bulgaria within the framework of the Strategy for smart, sustainable and inclusive growth (Europe 2020 Strategy).
The two-day event gave the opportunity for the host country and the peers to discuss difficult topics such as management models, governance structures, private sector involvement, extra-regional cooperation, and financial models to ensure sustainability.
Discover the specific policy recommendations in this summary report.