Municipality of Rethymno
CURBING PLASTICS WASTE AND LITTERING IN EU REGIONS
The widespread plastic pollution necessitates a strong reaction from EU regions, to address growing environmental and health concerns. PLASTECO, in line with the “European Strategy for Plastics in a Circular Economy”, will support participating territories to take the steps necessary for a transition towards a “new plastics economy”. The focus of the project will be on advances in waste management, eradication of single-use plastics from regional value chains, and spurring growth through eco-innovation. PLASTECO will cover the areas of waste management, public procurement, funding/investments, secondary raw materials, and awareness raising.
PLASTECO will support 8 partners from 8 EU countries, through joint policy learning efforts and exchanges of experiences, to benefit from the momentum of the EU plastics strategy and achieve their goals in terms of protecting the environment, increasing resource efficiency, alleviating health effects, and boosting innovation. PLASTECO will enable partners and key stakeholders to:
assess the current situation, potential, and barriers in their regions;identify pathways for sustainable growth in plastics value-chains;design and put into effect new policy measures and regulations.
The implementation of PLASTECO will:
- Lead to increased capacity of 180 staff of public administrations to effectively support new growth trajectories & energy security
- Potential 19 million euros unlocked to support projects on plastic reuse, eco-innovation, alternative technologies
- Increased awareness & consensus building among plastic producers and consumers/the public
MAIN OUTPUTS & BENEFICIARIES
- 8 action plans to improve the addressed policies, benefiting managing authorities & stakeholders
- 4 interregional workshops, 2 study visits, and 2 joint policy planning and strategic review procedures, to promote capacity building among partners and stakeholders
- 3 joint thematic studies on territorial needs and good practices