Through the cohesion policy, the European Union works towards the reduction of disparities between regions by promoting sustainable, inclusive and innovative actions through thematic projects.
The INTERREG Europe project REFORM focuses on exchange of experience and mutual learning processes among its partner regions (Region Emilia-Romagna - IT, Region of Central Macedonia - EL, Greater Manchester - UK, and Region Parkstad Limburg - NL) on the theme of sustainable urban mobility planning. Public regional and local authorities explore low carbon solutions, improve their own policy instruments and ultimately raise the quality of life of their citizens.
Thanks to REFORM, the four regions (supported by POLIS, the Institute of Transport and Logistics, and CERTH/HIT) have supported the development of Sustainable Urban Mobility Plans (SUMPs) as key planning tools to improve urban mobility policies.
This conference will showcase the results that the REFORM project has achieved in its first two years: the definition of good practices, the analysis of local competences and needs, the involvement of stakeholders, and the definition of an Action Plan on sustainable mobility. These achievements and the experience gained in REFORM have led to the preparation of a declaration of intent on sustainable mobility planning, which will be jointly signed by high-level representatives of the four regions. The declaration will be presented to the European Institutions to provide insights for the update of the SUMP guidelines and the development of SUMP 2.0.
- 10:00 – 10:15 Welcome and introduction to the conference
Stefano Bonaccini, President of Regione Emilia-Romagna
- 10:15 – 10:30 REFORM project recommendations for strengthening the role of Regions in achieving innovative, sustainable and low-carbon mobility
Maria Morfoulaki, Project coordinator
- 10:30 – 10:45 The importance of interregional exchange of experience in European cooperation for the development of sustainable mobility planning
DG Regio representative
- 10:45 – 11:00 Lessons learnt from SUMP implementation so far in European regions and challenges ahead
DG Move representative
- 11:00 – 11:40 Statements by high-level representatives of the 4 REFORM Regions
The role of Region Emilia-Romagna in SUMP promotion
(Councilor Raffaele Donini - Emilia Romagna Region)
The role of Region of Central Macedonia in SUMP promotion
(Region of Central Macedonia)
SUMPs as tools to develop sustainable mobility in polycentric areas
(Region Parkstad Limburg)
SUMPs as multi-level governance tools to deliver sustainable mobility
(Transport of Greater Manchester)
- 11:40 – 12:30 Roundtable discussion with the high-level representatives of the EC and the four REFORM Regions
- 12:30 – 12:35 Presentation of the REFORM Joint Declaration of Intent
Andrea Bardi – Institute for Transport and Logistics
- 12:35 – 13:00 Signing ceremony of the REFORM Joint Declaration & Press Conference
- 13:00 – 14:00 Political Lunch