Regions are invited to apply for two Commission pilot projects. If selected, they can benefit from tailored EU financial and advisory support in transforming their economies and modernising their industries.
Commissioner for Regional policy Corina Creţu said: "There are five steps a region needs to take to haul itself up the value chain in a globalised economy; embracing innovation, digitalisation and decarbonisation, developing people's skills and breaking down barriers to investment. The pilot projects we are launching (..) show that the EU is ready to help its regions, every step of the way."
The pilot projects are building on this positive experience. Two calls for expression of interest were launched on 29 September 2017:
- Call 1: Tailored support for regions facing industrial transition
- Call 2: Interregional partnerships to develop competitive European value chains
Regions can apply until 31 October 2017. The results of the calls will be published in early December.
- Official information of the EC's on the calls
- Inforegio – how to apply?
- Factsheet – Smart specialisation pilot actions
- Factsheet – what is smart specialisation?
- July 2017 Communication – Strengthening Innovation in Europe's regions
- July 2017 MEMO – Challenges ahead: boosting innovation-led growth in EU regions
The European Digital Skills Awards showcase initiatives that develop the digital skills of Europeans in school, at work and in society in general.
Are you working on regional policies? Do you think your experiences would inspire others? We would love to hear your story! Share your good practice with us!
S3Chem joined the Policy Learning Event on research & innovation and SME competitiveness in Milan from 19th to 20th October 2017.