The Policy Learning Platform organised an online peer review on the topic of 'Sector prioritisation and the Entrepreneurial Discovery Process (EDP)' with Vestland County, Norway, on 15-16 September 2020. Five talented peers from France, Greece, Italy, the Netherlands, and Sweden shared with the host region their experiences and suggestions for designing Smart Specialisation Strategies (S3) with a particular focus on Sector Prioritisation and the Entrepreneurial Discovery Process.
The host's main policy challenges and peers' suggestions can be found in the peer review in the follow-up report.
On 1 January 2020, two counties, Hordaland and Sogn og Fjordane, merged to form Vestland County. The two counties have different strategic planning traditions, sector strengths and institutional contexts. The merger has offered Vestland County an opportunity to adopt new policy concepts such as Smart Specialisation Strategy and a mission-oriented innovation approach when merging strategic plans.
The main policy challenges that the online peer review was addressing were:
- to merge two planning traditions and create a common Smart Specialisation Strategy,
- the entrepreneurial discovery process when merging strategic plans,
- the entrepreneurial discovery process linked to societal challenges,
- monitoring the EDP.
Building on two days of intense and very rich exchanges with the host and a dynamic group of key stakeholders from the Norwegian context, the peers gave relevant and actionable suggestions on the main policy challenges such as:
- For the prioritisation process, to concentrate resources is necessary to guarantee a potential impact through critical mass and to avoid spreading investments too thinly across too many sectors.
- For selecting missions and the EDP, to design a process that becomes more and more specific along the way to achieve the right granularity of priorities.
International Business Times article by By Dorcas Mbugua, published on 01/02/21
The Otto-von-Guericke University has been one of nine partners in the Interreg Project “Beyond EDP” an European framework to foster the Ideas of “Smart speciali
Peer reviews on topics like circular economy and waste management have been very successful. Submit your peer review application today.
Definition, Instruments and Monitoring of Social Innovation: Theory and Practice
In this webinar you will learn more about RECORD, an Interreg Europe project of 4 years, aiming at helping railway SMEs to invest more and better in innovation
Castilla la Mancha virtual meeting, spanish case stuides on the social dialogue