Simbioza Genesis, social enterprise, with its activities and programmes addresses the lack of digital literacy among elderly people, development of sense of responsibility in young and promotion of a trust-based society, intergenerational cooperation and social inclusion for all generations. Simbioza, social enterprise was founded in 2014 as a way to ensure long term sustainability of an organic growth of a project ‘[email protected]
e-literate Slovenia’, which started in 2011. Currently they are implementing following projects:
• Simbioza School (transferring the e-literacy model in local environments).
• Simbioza Moves (nationwide action by doing intergenerational sports).
• Simbioza Masters (280-hour training for youth with less opportunity).
• [email protected]
- Digital Academy (advanced computer workshops for youth aged 15 to 30 years, job seekers and employed people).
• Intergenerational Center (daily activities for seniors, job seekers and youth).
• Simbioza International (transfer the Simbioza model abroad).
• Simbioza with Roma Youth (pilot workshops in Roma communities with children aged 6 to 12 years and mothers, aged 13 to 24 years).
Simbioza as a social enterprise finances itself mostly (90%) from its main activity–education and trainings–which they offer to individuals and companies. They have 5 employees, inner group of 20 volunteers in Ljubljana, 124 volunnteers of Simbioza school across Slovenia and 10.000 volunnteers.
The practice connected more than 9000 volunteers and 15.860 elderly people at 500 locations in Slovenia. In 2012-2013 they helped increase the number of elderly internet users in Slovenia for 25%. Awards: Citizen of Europe by European Parliament (2012), nomination by Slovenian government for UN Population Awards as an innovative solution in the field of demographics and intergenerational cooperation (2013), final selection of Erste Foundation Award for Social Integration in SSE Europe (2013) etc
Promotion, awareness raising and the need to change the mind set when it comes to choosing a social enterprise as a service/product provider. Financing of new product/service development and access to public funds. The state should be purchasing more products/services from social enterprises.
Simbioza grew rapidly as a project and it continues to develop as a social enterprise. Its activities and programmes are implemented at more than 500 locations across Slovenia and it’s already gaining international attention. In 2013, Simbioza implemented its intergenerational workshop on the use of computer in Shanghai China. They have also had a pilot workshop in Zagreb, Croatia