Network composed of charging stations for electric vehicles located in spaces of public access.
- Unlike the fuel stations, electric stations to recharge the battery of an electric vehicle it is not something easily accessible in spaces of public access.
- MOBI.E was created to ensure that the electric vehicles users have the chance to recharge their vehicles in a public environment, so they can charge them while working, lunching or doing some other activity. MOBI.E consists in a network composed by 600 charge stations spreaded around Portugal, initially the charge had no costs, but a tariff is now being tested. In the website we can consult in real time the availability of a charge station or if there is one near our location. There are available three types of charge station: 1) normal (3,7 kWh, 6-8 hours for 100% of the battery capacity); 2) semi-fast (22 kWh, 1 hour for 80% of the battery capacity) and 3) fast (20-30 minutes for 80% of the battery capacity). Some goals of this good practice are: 1) attract private investors; 2) promote the expansion of electric mobility in Portugal. The MOBI.E network are now expanding and looking to enter in the free market.
- The main beneficiaries are the electric vehicles drivers.
Initiative partially private funded, the financial resources needed are not public.
Evidence of success
Since 2010 (at the present date - 19/04/2018):
- 4,19 GWh consumed;
- 511.131 charges;
- 621 charge stations used;
- 2.771 ton CO2 avoided;
- 5300 clients in the network.
Lack of investment and maintenance during Portuguese financial crisis.
Potential for learning or transfer
The charge stations are very useful to every country that has a good number of electric vehicles and it can also foster the usage of electric vehicles.