The practice is part of a larger initiative to propose "sustainable" summer events and to combine the enhancement of cultural and environmental heritage.
In the 2013 the Municipalities of Petacciato and Campomarino had tried to combine the conservation of natural heritage with the enhancement of cultural heritage by developing a way of sustainable summer tourism in the form of a ‘summer activity calendar’ at the sites included in the LIFE MAESTRALE project. Considering the large number of tourists present in 2013, 2014 and 2015, then also the other two coastal municipalities (Montenero di Bisaccia and Termoli) not included in the project followed the example shared the initiative by proposing the calendar of summer activities "Natural ...mente on the Molise Coast" with guided sightseeing tours, naturalistic tours, educational workshops.
Specifically, for the municipality of Termoli, activities of discovery and valorisation of local maritime culture have been carried out with the rediscovery and the usability of a cultural and environmental heritage often forgotten.
The activities includes:
- Explanation of the birth, use and maintenance of these historic fishing machines;
- reflections on how coastal landscape changes that have occurred over the last 60 years have led to changes in customs and man's relationship to the coast and to the sea;
- trying the experience of being suspended between land and sea.
Guided tour on board a fishing boat, on the dock dedicated to small fishing and the fish market:
- the experience of being "on board"
- the differences between modern fishing techniques and traditional.
Municipality of Termoli financed the summer calendar with the financing of the company for the disposal of urban waste, showing problems in continuity due to the company. To ensure continuity of events it is important to include the calendar in the annual activities and to include private lenders.
Evidence of success
Being this a pilot initiative is difficult to provide measurable feedback. It was possible to observe a great interest. Local visitors were intrigued by the discovery of the city's origins, and different aspects of maritime life. Tourists have appreciated the peculiarities of the area and the opportunity to know and appreciate the culture of territory. At present it is not possible to relate the tourist presence to events promoted with those of the Molise region due to lack of data.
There were difficulties in organizing the event: create small groups for the visit of the Trabucco (10 p); create small groups for the visit of the vessel (12 p); distance from the port to the city center without the presence of public transport; poor security due to the lack of port authority.
Potential for learning or transfer
These initiatives aim at:
1) to emphasize the link between nature-culture-territory;
2) to enhance the elements of locality;
3) to propose an example of sustainable tourism in a city with strong human pressure;
4) disseminating basic knowledge about the fishery chain.
So, the practice can be used as learning opportunity in order to:
- Stimulate knowledge of local coastal heritage;
- Implement cultural and recreational activities with the aim of safeguarding heritage and preserving its history, by enhancing cultural and environmental tourism (material and immaterial heritage as a strong tourist attraction).