Vila Nova de Gaia municipality has started an energy rehabilitation process to turn all municipal schools and sports facilities into neutral CO2 equipments.
This good practice arise from the strategic ambition of Vila Nova de Gaia municipality to ensure that all municipal schools and sports equipment’s follow the design principles associated with the NZEB (Nearly Zero Energy Buildings) and CO2 Zero concepts by 2020.
For the implementation of this initiative, the municipality of Vila Nova de Gaia received the technical support of the municipal organizations – Gaiurb and Energaia – both for the technical energy solutions and for the awareness activities directed to buildings’ users.
The feasible execution of this good practice has been applying to a set of funding programs per each action specificity.
In 2014, with the support of the National Strategic Reference Framework (QREN) 2007-2013, energy efficiency solutions were integrated in 3 sports halls and 2 swimming pools centred on three vectors: RE (solar thermal systems for heating sanitary hot water and biomass boilers as support); RES (replacement of existing lighting and air treatment units by high energy efficiency systems); and installation of monitoring and management systems of energy consumption and air quality. In these 5 projects the total investment was € 780,688 with a contribution of 85% from the Structural Funds.
During 2015, under the Plan for Promoting Efficiency in Energy Consumption (PPEC), the replacement of existing lighting systems by more efficient technology (LED) in 12 schools accounted a total investment of € 80,000.
- Municipality own capitals for roofs and walls insulation, windows replacement, lighting replacement;
- PPEC funds for roofs and walls insulation, windows replacement, lighting replacement;
- QREN 2007-2013 funds for energy efficiency equipment’s upgrading in centralized management systems;
Evidence of success
- 5 sports equipments were already subject to energy retrofitting processes;
- 12 schools were intervened with the replacement of existing lighting systems by LED technologies;
- 5 schools were monitored by Energaia in terms of expected energy consumptions;
- An estimated annual final energy saved in schools and sports equipments of 1,49 GWh;
- An estimated annual final energy production by RES of 0,10 GWh in sports equipments;
- An estimated annual reduction of 207,5 Tons eq CO2.
This good practice reflects a successful cooperation between the municipality and the beneficiary communities – students, teachers and sports centres users – under the co-sharing of the responsibilities and benefits of energy efficiency improvement.
Potential for learning or transfer
This initiative is highly relevant within the scope of the EU energy policy framework for 2020 and 2030.
The addressed concepts – NZEB and CO2 Zero buildings – promote an efficient use of resources and energy, and encourage the implementation of renewable energy and low-carbon solutions/technologies.
This holds a high relevance for Locarbo project because it is oriented towards the improvement of policy instruments targeting demand-driven initiatives to increase energy efficiency levels, but also to raise the motivation and awareness of final consumers/ communities to adopt more conscious energy decisions.
In this sense, this good practice will support an innovative way for regional/local authorities to support and encourage the energy consumer’s behaviour change, and to increase the skilled workforce involved on the energy-efficient and low carbon built environment.
Please login to see the expert opinion of this good practice.