It is a platform tract that brings together current energy data from the 35 municipalities of the Barcelona metropolitan region in a single data visualization.
The object of the tool was to have updated real consumption data of all energy supplies of the 35 municipalities of the metropolitan region of Barcelona with the aim of:
- Store all the energy information of each point of public consumption in a centralized, updated and permanently accessible way and from anywhere
- Compare the energy indicators of each municipality with respect to the rest, benchmarking, allowing to identify the most efficient municipalities that can serve as a reference, and those that have the greatest potential for improvement (globally, building typology, etc.)
- Help policy makers to prioritize and define metropolitan energy policies from an objective and unique dashboard
- Continuously evaluate progress in the goals of saving and efficiency and promoting renewable energies as well
Currently the platform has data from 35 municipalities, more than 7,000 energy supplies corresponding to more than 2,000 buildings and 3,500 public lighting panels.
The platform is fed by the data provided by the energy accounting platforms of each municipality. These platforms collect energy consumption and billing data for each of its energy supplies in a municipality. For this reason it was also necessary to provide some municipalities with energy accounting platforms.
The availability of this platform and its data benefits:
Responsible for energy policies.
Technicians design energy actions
Provide 11 municipalities with an energy accounting system (2 years). 42.955€
Creation and maintenance of a consumption display platform (2 years): 50.120€
Currently, the maintenance service of these platforms is being tendered for 2 more years, extendable.
Evidence of success
It is considered a success because it is a tool that the AMB is using daily for the design and implementation of energy efficiency measures and the implementation of renewable energy in municipalities.
It is also a tool that is being used for the municipal joint energy management service that the AMB is promoting and that uses the ISO 50.001 methodology.
Potential for learning or transfer
- Some of the difficulties encountered when making energy policies is the availability of updated real consumption data. Consumption data published annually are usually 2 years behind the date of publication and therefore energy policies are used to being based on old data.
- Another problem is the monitoring and verification of the results of these policies. Currently, this monitoring is done poorly, among other reasons due to the difficulty of having updated data. This is an aspect that this platform also aims to solve.
Please login to see the expert opinion of this good practice.