300 traning videopills to cover skills gaps in Industry 4.0 related technologies for production managers and CEOs of the wood and furniture industries.
The EU supports the 4th industrial revolution through its industrial policy and through research and infrastructure funding. However, challenges like training workers and future professionals remain. Furthermore, the furniture and wood sector has identified that it has a shortage of professionals with high qualification in ICTs and other emerging technologies.
Some of the specific skills and competencies that stand out as critical for managers in the furniture sector are ICTs skills that are crucial to operate in a modern business environment. They may require attention in terms of additional training and adjustments in the official curricula. These skills and competencies are the ones that are the most critical.
The main outputs of IN4WOOD are:
- A deep analysis of the furniture sector regarding the lack of knowledge and skills in Industry 4.0.
- A complete and agile training path.
- Dedicated training materials of the most useful key enabling technologies of Industry 4.0 including more than 300 videos.
- A mobile based platform.
- A joint curriculum for “manufacturers of furniture smart factories” IN4WOOD will modernize VET by focusing on the ICTs skills needs to increase competitiveness of the wood and furniture industry.
The IN4WOOD training materials will give to the production managers and CEOs an overview of the specifics needs of the enterprise regarding the several key enabling technologies of I4.0. IN4WOOD is funded by the EU Erasmus+ Programme.
The project was developed by 13 partners including VET and HE providers, industrial associations and enterprises experts in ICTs and e-learning.
The budget of the project was 1,1 million € and 5700 days of staff were invested.
Evidence of success
The evidence-based definition of skills needs regarding KETs was done by the analysis of 600 answers to different surveys in EU.
- Skills needs reports and curricula: https://in4wood.eu/public-documents/
- Web platform: https://app.in4wood.eu/
- Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pristalica.in4wood
- iOS: https://apps.apple.com/es/app/in4wood/id1468253565
- Platform tested by 184 students with different profiles, including 60 people coming from the industry world.
The involvement of the industry representative was essential to fulfil the skills needs requirements. The policy makers EU association Eurada was key in the transferability of the results to different regional development agencies in Europe. The involvement of experts in digital content for training
Potential for learning or transfer
The project has produced more than 90 hours of training for CEOs, production managers and ICT students about digital transformation and industry 4.0 in the furniture and wood sector. Most of them, transferable to other manufacturing sectors.
IN4WOOD course is composed by 5 Specializations divided in 17 courses that encompasses online and face to face training materials:
- 310 video pills (videoclips around 3 minutes duration)
- 271 presentations
- 17 instructor guidelines
- Glossary of terms
- 245 Multiple choice questions
Project results can be potentially transferred to other countries by simply adapting some features and translating the contents. At least 60% of the training materials can be used independent of the economic sector: eg. IoT, Collaborative platforms, 3D printing, Augmented reality, 3D design, etc
The training paths will be able to add new industrial sectors (ie. textile, packaging, food, paper, lighting, footwear, toys, etc.).