The practice implements comprehensive activities based on a complex system approach using the concept of ecohydrology
The water reservoirs in the Arturowek place are among the most popular recreation areas in Lodz. They are exposed to considerable contamination which significantly reduces the quality of water. Under an EU LIFE+ innovative ecohydrological measures were tested to improve water quality in Arturowek. In the period 2010-2011 project implementation included measures to identify the sources of pollution based on SWOT analysis. This documentation enabled implementation of investment works in 2013. The work included:
• Construction of buffer zones and floating vegetation mats in 3 of the water reservoirs to reduce the inflow of nutrients from the catchment;
• Ecohydrological adaptation of upper reservoir to intensify the sedimentation and selfpurification of water in reservoir;
• Construction of a Sequential Sedimentation Biofiltration System for retention and pretreatment of stormwater received from Wycieczkowa Str.;
• Ecohydrological adaptation of low-volume water reservoirs to intensify selfpurification processes of water in upstream river section;
• Hydrotechnical adaptation of damming structures to reduce the risk of flooding;
• Removal of bottom sediments to reduce the reservoirs’ internal supply with nutrients.
In the mid of 2013, the reservoirs were made available for recreational functions. In the period 2014-2015, in the framework of monitoring system the optimisation of implemented biotechnical systems were applied to improve efficiency in elimination of nutrients
Budget: 1 244 319 euro
Evidence of success
• Reduction of summer season appearance of cyanobacterial toxins from 57 μg/l to 0.25 μg/l.
• The sequential sedimentation-biofiltration systems and hybrid systems used in the project remove up to 90% of the total suspended matter, 75.9% of total nitrogen, 76.4% of total phosphorus and from 47.5% to 74.5% of other nutrients transported with rainwater from urban areas directly to recreational reservoirs and rivers.
Potential for learning or transfer
The ecohydrological solutions constructed in the Arturówek enable to reuse rain water from urban areas to recreational areas by improving the water quality of reservoirs and the biological diversity, providing habitats for fauna and flora.
Regarding above there is a possibility of applying a hybrid system and SBSS as an element of blue-green infrastructure for activities related to adaptation to climate change and for activities related to improve water quality in recreational reservoirs.
The practice is transferrable for other regions which is evidenced by implementation in Radom city (Potok Północny River, Cerekwianka River and Borki Reservoir) and Zgierz city (Malinka River and Reservoir)
Please login to see the expert opinion of this good practice.