Objective of the project is the design, implementation and evaluation of small-scale energy infrastructure interventions at representative public facility.
Regarding the Region of Epirus, the objective was to install RES systems at the building and the surrounding space of the Region of Epirus premises. Analytically:
• Installation of a new high energy performance central heating/cooling system for the 1st and 2nd floor of the building of Region of Epirus in Ioannina.
• Installation of Geothermal Heat Pump and closed circuit Ground Heat Exchangers for heating/cooling the semi-basement.
• Environmental upgrading of the surrounding area, including pedestrian walks, green zones and public lighting (LED lights).
• Installation of autonomous PV system on the rooftop of the building and a small-scale wind turbine in front of the main entrance of the building
• Heat insulation of the inside of the external walls
• The jointly development of advanced tools and innovative web applications for: I.RES and energy efficiency clustering; II. Guidance for mature RES and energy efficiency investments; and III. Knowledge transfer to residents and businesses
• A web tool (as part of the platform) for the guidance of residents and businesses for RES/Energy Efficiency investments taking into consideration the local area needs and requirements
• Also promotes the cooperation between two neighboring regional units (Ioannina GR and Girokaster AL).
994.000 Euros (€)
Evidence of success
Considerable reduce of the energy consumption of the Region of Epirus main Administration Building. Maximization of project results to all cross-border area (Greece – Albania) and activation of local businesses and residents in the green energy economy and sustainability.
No significant difficulties were encountered. Local community welcomes projects regarding RES technologies in public sector.
Potential for learning or transfer
Possibility of turning old public administration buildings into energy efficient buildings regarding local area needs and requirements. Cooperation in green tourism and in energy sector between an EU member and a non EU member.