Technology Vouchers support innovation local companies in San Sebastian.
The Technological Vouchers program aims to promote innovative local projects that can be supported by FSS, both for its start-up, growth and
consolidation in the market, as well as for competitive improvement and the strengthening in the positioning of the companies that make up the industrial sector of the city. Projects must have an innovative component with advanced service needs, based on technology and knowledge, and be promoted by local companies and entrepreneurs. The economic resources to support the projects through the technological vouchers are assumed
jointly by FSS and the collaborating technological and research center, FSS assuming 70% of the contribution and the Technological Center the remaining 30%.
Based on the needs identified, in 2016 the Technological Vouchers program was categorized into two blocks with different amounts, with the following objectives:
1) Promote and develop projects with a technological component, in collaboration with the TECNALIA RESEARCH & INNOVATION FOUNDATION and with the centers of the TECHNICAL ALLIANCE IK4, depending on the development of the project and the requested service.
2) Promote and develop projects with a technological component, in collaboration with the BIODONOSTIA Institute Association, depending on the development of the project and the requested service.

Resources needed

Budget: 296.000€.
Human Resources deployed: Innovation Department Staff

Evidence of success

Vouchers were made available to the companies of San Sebastian in 2016:
· Tecnalia Voucher: with a budget of € 128,000, grants for a value of € 99,840 were awarded.
· IK4 Voucher: with a budget of € 128,000, grants for a value of € 149,760 were awarded.
· Biodonostia Voucher: with a budget of € 40,000, grants for a value of €26,000 were awarded.

Difficulties encountered

It is essential to developp a very strong relationship with those “leading companies” before the launching of the programme, that requires a high
degree of rapport. It is also important to have a good knowledge of your
innovation ecosystem to adapt its different needs.

Potential for learning or transfer

This practice can be transferred to any other region or city. But to be successful, the ecosystem network must be quite mature, in order to fullfill similar objectives. It is necessary to have at least strong or leading companies that can enable you to sign an agreement in order to act as “locomotives” for others start-ups.
It is also essential to developp a very strong relationship with those “leading companies” before the launching of the programme, that requires a high degree of rapport. It is also essential to have a good knowledge of your innovation ecosystem, because even if it is a very useful instrument, it is imperative to spread the information of its existence among the potential applicant companies.
As mentionned, the practice can As mentionned, the practice can “easily” be transferred, but only if the matters stressed above are respected.

Please login to see the expert opinion of this good practice.

Project
Main institution
Fomento San Sebastian
Location
Andalucía, Spain (España)
Start Date
April 2016
End Date
December 2016

Contact

Xabier Hualde Please login to contact the author.

Good Practices being followed by

claudia fassero

Metropolitan City of Turin