The project defines and designs a large road junction as a precious connection from a morphological, environmental and urban point of view.
This project concerns the renovation of the large road junction that marks the entrance to Trevi from the new Flaminia freeway. This intervention proposes new forms of environmental continuity for the protection and enhancement of the biodiversity (natural, agricultural and cultural) of the lowland belt known as the Umbra Valley.
The project defines the possible role of these transition spaces, between plains and hills, as precious connection areas from a morphological, environmental and urban point of view.
The project choices can be summarized as follows:
- Recovery of ecological functionality. The ecological-environmental reconnection of the disconnected strips takes place through the installation of new rows according to the historical orientation consistent with the slope of the land and the construction of meadows.
- Hydrogeological recovery. The project includes interventions aimed at the hydrogeological stabilization of the soil, through the creation of a deep drainage. In this sense, a system of micro-terraces has also been created - traditionally supported by stonewalls or grassy banks - is reinterpreted through the use of a contemporary material corten steel plates.
- Public use of the green space. The two large lateral flower beds by virtue of their considerable extension, have been designed providing for public use by the population and they could be assimilated to equipped green spaces.
Road access to the city of Trevi and the mountain community of Subasio, Serano and Martani created with funds from the RDP.
RDP funding (2007-2013) € 400,000
Human resources: 2 people of the technical and administrative staff of the Municipality of Trevi;team of 3 landscape architects.
Evidence of success
Thanks to this intervention, it was possible to overcome the degradation of some rural landscapes through the construction of new experimental spaces, usable and with a greater environmental landscape value.
The municipal administration, through a formal act signed by the CEO of Cartiere di Trevi and the Municipality, has entrusted the private company with the maintenance of the greenery of the large road junction in exchange for a sponsorship in the area of its business.
The critical element was to make this public investment comprehensible to citizens, that could easily grasp the utility of park along an infrastructure.
Positive lesson was the sharing between local authorities and citizens and the management and maintenance procedure.
Potential for learning or transfer
The project can be replicated as a design and management methodology:
- redevelopment of periurban areas along the infrastructures and which denote elements of criticality and discontinuity with the rural landscape through environmental and landscape reconnection;
- safeguard the use of traditional agricultural practices by enhancing them through the signs of the historical landscape.
- restore and enhance complex places through elements representative of biodiversity. sensitise society through participation and awareness, by offering the opportunity to regain possession of parts of the territory;
- Integrate the community, regional and municipal funding.