Installation that can be placed in an individual rural farm to treat organic waste (manure, agricultural, gardening and food waste) to produce energy.
Organic waste generated from farming, crop residues and manure, is an important source of energy. In Romania there are many small farms, that generate bio-waste that is not used. Biodegradable organic waste is a renewable resource to produce biogas. Rural residents could use biogas produced in household installations for cooking, heating of water or even for the production of electricity using a generator. The fermented residue, rich nutrient material, could be used as an organic fertilizer.
According to Eurostat - Agriculture, forestry and fishery statistics, 2018 edition, Romania, is the Member State with the highest number of small farms; nine of ten farms (91.8 % or 3.1 million farms) were smaller than 5 ha. This is a disadvantage in the development of large biogas projects. A possible solution for domestic applications is the floating-drum biogas unit, 4 cubic meters digester capacity (scalable up to 16 m3 according to substrate availability and family energy demand).
The anaerobic chamber has an innovative shape which ensures a proper flowing and homogenization of the organic mass (Patent RO125902B1).
• Simplicity in building and operation
• Better efficiency in degradation of the organic compounds
• Availability of local biomass
• Renewable fuel for domestic use
• Clean and healthy environment for the families living in rural areas
The main beneficiaries of the invention are farmers from small agricultural and animal farms.
Construction time and manpower required: 1 week, 2 workers (brick / concrete construction), 2 workers (biogas tank).
Costs (materials and labor): approx. 3500 € without VAT.
Operating costs: approx. 20 € / year (to adjust acidity with lime).
Lifetime: at least 20 years.
Evidence of success
• Treating ca. 50 kg organic slurry (25 kg organic waste + 25 kg dilution water)
• Producing min. 2 m3 biogas and 20 kg stable fertilizer
• Domestic applications: for gas oven/stoves, boilers, gas engines
• Gas Demand:
- Biogas consumption per burner: 200 l/hour
- Biogas production per day: 1000 – 2000 liters
- Daily production can fit the needs of a 3-4 members family for cooking and/or other living needs.
Potential for learning or transfer
The research project for the development of technologies and installations for energy recovery and ecological treatment of biodegradable wastes from the farming sector, developed by ICPE-CA, solves a current problem not only locally, but also at European level, according to the launched EU initiatives, and may be replicated in rural areas, both for private and public buildings.
The project has been implemented in Romania, Boteni, Arges and is profitable. It is an example of good practice for bio-based circular economy.
Please login to see the expert opinion of this good practice.