A funding scheme of the management of R&D regional funds with a focus on market needs, seeking tangible and exploitable R&D results that solve real challenges.
These innovation projects, promoted and coordinated by ADItech, are a successful funding scheme of the management of R&D regional funds with a focus on approaching to market needs, seeking tangible and exploitable R&D results that solve real industrial technological challenges.
To face technological challenges in the development of new Products and Services in whose commercial exploitation are interested Companies, covering the risks from Technology Readiness Level (TRL) 3 to TRL 6.
- Improving the competitiveness of the industries with new products, new processes, new technology tools …
- Stressing the focus of R&D navarresse Centers and Universities capacities to industrial applications.
- Sharing the profits coming from the exploitation of the results by Companies.
Tractor projects Concept:
Technological Centres and Universities will make an investment to develop a technology / service / product that will be transferred to a tractor company.
The tractor company will have access to the use of industrial property or industrial secret in the condition of exclusivity, under some conditions:
- Commitment of the company to take the new developments to the market.
- Remuneration of the effort made by the technology Centre, research Centre and/or University through several formulas: royalties, licenses, recruitment of services, % on sales, commitments on further development phases.
Each funding entity can define the amount of financial resources for this Open Call for Projects.
These resources are focused on the R&D activity in the Region:
- Research Centres and Universities: 100% for direct costs and 25% for indirect cost.
- Coordinator entity: 5% of the project budget.
Evidence of success
At the end of 2016:
- More than 35 companies engaged in Tractor Projects
- More than 45 Projects in Progress
- More than 75% of the Technical Sucess Ratio in the Projects
- 2,6M€ Revenues Generated in 2016
In 2017, a total of 32 Tractor Projects have been funded.
In 2018, a total of 32 Tractor Projects have been submitted.
- Mobilisation of the companies: Sectorial Workshops were organised by ADItech in order to improve the communication between research groups and companies in 4 technological fields (aligned to RIS3)
- Previous Contract (signed by Company, Research Institutes and Coordinator) discussed and agreed.
Potential for learning or transfer
- A new approach for R&D projects in the Derath Valley of TRLs.
- Good oppotunity for Innovation Ecosystem, but also for Companies involved.
- Easily applicable with other typical funding schemes.
Please login to see the expert opinion of this good practice.