new approaches to retrofitting old multi resident blocks
This is a long term programme included in the LEAP with the purpose of improving the insulation of the private flats while a dif-ferent programme is targeting the heating system. The programme started in 2011 when the refurbishment costs were split evenly 50% / 50% between national and local budgets. There was a delay before finally the second stage was able to be imple-mented mainly because of the lack of consensus between the beneficiaries, but with the legislation changing allowing the majori-ty of the owners to decide in 2018 another smaller batch were refurbished with many others in different stages of preparation. The financing is different this time 60% national budget, 15% local budget and 25% flat owners.
- The energy savings are substantial, reducing bills and protecting the environment, this helps in convincing residents of the benefits
- The interior of the flats is much more comfortable;
- The exterior of the blocks has improved visually;
- Having the first few blocks finalised increased the interest of other owners association to be included in the program.
Financial investment of 10.750.000 EUR in this instance but on a case by case basis. See finance model above
Evidence of success
During 2011-2013, financed by Ministry and Ploiesti Munci-pality, 46 blocks were refurbished totalling 3221 flats and 224.514 square meters.
During 2015-2016, another 6 blocks were refurbished total-ling 308 flats and 19.095 square meters.
There are audits for 43 more blocks to be refurbished, contracting is ongoing.
- The energy savings are substantial, reducing bills and protecting the environment
- Convincing the owners to support the scheme, the approach to individual contributions is a new financing model in the region of P
- Identifying the proper financing tools to execute the works
- Long duration (years!) between starting the necessary studies to the finalization of the investment.
Potential for learning or transfer
Energy savings were between 57-80%, from 200-384 kWh/m2/year before refurbishment to 65-85 kWh/m2/year after, average annual energy savings are estimated at 21 GWh.
Demonstrating to regions where individual investment in their house is not a traditional method of upgrading facilities.