Zlatograd makes investments to improve its citizens’ standard of living by purchasing energy efficient street lightening.
The municipality of Zlatograd is located in Southern Bulgaria in the Rhodope Mountains. The population of the municipality amounts to 11,471 inhabitants while its total area is 173,371 km2.
81 % of their territory is occupied by forests.
The municipality adopted a “Programme for fostering the use of renewable energy sources (RES) in the municipality of Zlatograd for the period 2014-2020”.
Following the policy for minimizing energy use and aiming at implementing more RES, the municipality decided to make a step and to turn to energy efficiency.
- A tender process was initiated in full compliance with the local Public Procurement Law. After a market research, authorities put in the tender documents specific technical parameters and requirements that must be followed.
The investment targets:
- To achieve more efficient maintenance by introducing standardization in lighting equipment and poles
- to reduce energy levels and light pollution by applying technological innovations which contribute to sustainability on a city-wide scale;
- to save energy;
- to decrease CO2 emissions and improving air quality;
- to Improve living standard;
- to save money.
Evidence of success
• Annual CO2 savings 178.16 t CO2/y and improved air quality;
• Annual energy savings 260.78 MWh/a;
• Annual cost savings of 23,275 EUR
• 860 pcs sodium bulbs and 63 park lamps were replaced with more efficient LED bulbs, while 246 lamps were replaced with LED bulbs (30 W
Potential for learning or transfer
The main factors for success are as follows:
• Pursuing sustainable energy management policy at local level that clearly identify the implementation of activities;
• Design and development of investment projects and their implementation are based on the experience and skills of the local authorities