Supply of 8000 packages of 100% recycled copy paper in A4 format
During the National Conference on GPP held in Sofia in 2009, the Ministry of Environment and Water (MEW) announced its intention to award a fully green public contract. Paper was chosen as a product group suitable for greening due to its clear environmental impact and the possibility of switching to greener alternatives without increasing purchase costs.
In order to prove their technical ability, tenderers had to present:
- a copy of their quality management certificate ISO 9001: 2000 or equivalent;
- a test report issued within the last six months before the submission of the tender, as well as other documents proving their technical capacity.
Besides, the paper was required to be:
- produced entirely from recovered paper fibres (post-consumer waste and pre-consumer recycled);
- at least elemental chlorine-free (ECF) bleached;
- totally chlorine free (TCF) bleached would also be accepted;
- compliant with the criteria of the Blue Angel eco-label and/or Nordic Swan and/or equivalent.
The prime award criterion was Lowest price
39600 BGN, VAT excluded
Evidence of success
• Supply of 8000 packages of 100% recycled copy paper in A4 format
Potential for learning or transfer
As result of the successful procurement, MEW has proposed to the recently established Central Purchasing Body (CPB, within the structure of the Ministry of Finance) in Bulgaria to procure fully recycled paper. CPB joined the initiative to foster GPP and award centralized contracts for the needs of Bulgaria’s executive authorities. The procedure to establish a framework agreement for stationery and paper supply has been announced in the Official Journal of the European Union and the Public Procurement Register. The subject-matter of one of the lots is supply of recycled paper for copiers, printers, multifunctional devices, faxes and other printing devices