Service offering the provision of certain attentions to allow people staying in their usual environment, facilitating their family and social relationships.
The relevance and importance of this good practice can only be understood under the special features of Burgos province (high number of living areas, wide territory, low population density…).
The main objectives of this service are as follows:
1. Provide the necessary attention to individuals or family groups with difficulties in their autonomy.
2. Prevent situations of personal and social decline.
3. Support the acquisition of skills to allow a more autonomous development in daily life.
4. Support family groups in their care responsibilities.
5. Avoid or delay the entrance in residential centers.
On these grounds, the main beneficiaries are:
- Older people with difficulties in their personal autonomy (people with disabilities). –
- Minors whose families can’t provide them the required care and attention at home.
- Families with special needs.
Activities included under the umbrella of social services: attentions of domestic and personal nature, tasks of relations with the environment and others (psychosocial care, socio-educational support…).
The economical point of view of this good practice is found in the creation of new jobs to provide an adequate service for all the users across the rural areas of the province of Burgos (more than 300 home care assistants mainly living in the own villages).
21 CEAS (Social Action Centres).
Public tender; private company managing the service (5.150.000 €, yearly).
308 home care assistants (priority access to the job for people living in rural areas, providing them with the necessary training). Special attention to the settlement of young families.
Evidence of success
This good practice provides to its users 324.000 hours of service per year.
Main users of this service are women older than 80 years.
The importance, success and relevance of this good practice in the province of Burgos are demonstrated by a double aspect:
- Political commitment within the people with special needs.
- Settlement of population in rural areas (avoid depopulation) because of the creation of new employs to provide the service.
Potential for learning or transfer
This good practice offers a solution to a global and common problem addressed in an important number of rural settlements and territories all over the countries in Europe (assistance for the increasing number of elderly living in rural areas).
The potential for learning (methodology and structure) is really high although the transference will depend on the budget of the administration/entity offering the service. Anyway, it’s important highlight that the features of the province of Burgos are really unique (more than 1.200 living areas in a surface of 14.300 Km2).
Anyway, it has to be mentioned the specific background and experience of the Social Well-being department in the Provincial Government of Burgos organising/management/monitoring the provision of this service.