Energy efficiency interventions on public building. Pilot project to define invitation to tender “Product specification” to Envirnmental Minimum Criteria.
The practice was born as eligible projects under the Call for proposals "Energia Sostenibile 2.0" Por Fers Lazio 2014-20 Asse 4, Azione 4.1.1. and it was made by the Tivoli Municipality and Regione Lazio gave technical support.
As outcome of Energy audit and cost/benefit analysis, that was made by the Water Resources and Soil Protection Department of Regione Lazio, the follow interventions were defined:
- Heating and lighting system: replacement of existing boiler with modular condensing one, fitting thermostatic valves on radiators, replacement of lamps with LED lightning system;
- Intervention on the building envelope: replacement of windows;
- Intervention for renewable energy production: photovoltaic modules installation;
- Further intervention: electric and thermic consumption monitory system, external display and remote monitory system of photovoltaic plant.
Regione Lazio supported the Tivoli Municipality for the drafting of technical and administrative documents required to conform the invitation to tender to CAM (environmental minimum criteria) in accordance to Directives 2004/17/EC and 2004/18/EC, as implemented in national law D.M. 11/10/2017: Special Terms of Contract and “Product specification” .
The intervention has been able to guarantee 50% of reduction of energy cost estimated in € 20.444,00 per year.
Sources and amount of funding:
The project's budget was 536.858,00 Euros, it was financed by EU structural funding under the Regione Lazio's call "Energia Sostenibile 2.0" Por Fers Lazio 2014-20 Asse 4, Azione 4.1.1.
Tivoli Municipality and Regione Lazio technical office.
Evidence of success
The monitoring results confirmed the estimated energy saving:
- Upgrade of the building from category F to B.
- Global energy performance ratio KWh (mq x year) reduced from 204,00 to 85,03.
- Heating consumption m3/year reduced from 35.04 to 20.33.
- Illumination and electric consumption KWh/year reduced from 39.359 to 10. 949
- Energy production KWh/year 8.010
- Primary Energy equivalent consumption KWh (conversion factor =2,17) from 85.409 to 23.759, reduction of 72%.
The intervention has fostered a positive relation between different public administration: Regione Lazio supported the local municipality’s lack of Knowledge.
Potential for learning or transfer
The main success factors of the practice (which can be transferred to other contexts) can be thus synthesized:
good use of Eu funding: the two steps call helped the small municipality to programme first feasibility studies (Energy audit included) and then the realization of works adequate to new environmental law.
Please login to see the expert opinion of this good practice.