The strategy describes all tools develop to create the scenario need to make the eHealth a reality and overcome the barriers observed in the Basque Country.
Objective: This e-Health strategy supports integrated healthcare to address ageing, chronicity and dependency in the Basque Country.
Beneficiaries: Patients and health staff.
Implementation: Several informatics tools have been developed to follow-up the patient along the whole Healthcare System.
• Osarean – it provides healthcare focused on prevention, follow-up and new forms of non-face to face attention, including health counselling, then shifting the care model from acute care to chronic care.
• Osabide Global –a single electronic medical records’ programme providing comprehensive patient focused information in all Osakidetza centers.
• Osabide Integra: provides access to the HER to doctors working in Nursing Homes, and therefore, facilitating health and social coordination.
• Integral Program Management tool (Gestor Integral de Programas, GIP) - aims at monitoring chronic patients by health professionals.
• Osanaia –it managements of nursing care. It integrates information from primary, specialized care and mental health.
• Presbide –provides by a single system for both primary and specialist healthcare.
Personal Health Folder (PHF): allowing patient’s access to their Health Information (clinical summaries, lab results, Prescriptions and other data, as the possibility to communicate with their health providers.
The budget invested in deployment and implementation of innovative solutions for Health and active and healthy ageing in the BC has been 650M€ between 2011 and 2016. Osakidetza investment in ICT innovation in 2014 was ~2,5M€, which was 3.26% of the total ~75.5M€ ICT expenditure.
Evidence of success
Jan-Jun (2017 vs 2018)
• 91K calls made to the e-Health centre, 4.5% up
• 11K patients in Telemonitoring Programmes, 18.92% up
• 1.183K web appointments , 13.21% down
• 981K telephone visits in Primary Care (PC), 3.27% down
• 152K telephone visits in hospitals, 14.3% up
• 265K accesses to the PHF, 42.4% down
66K digital consultations between professionals from PC and specialized care, 33% up
2016 data show 12,2% less hospital days for multimorbid patients (MMP) and 16,7% MMP readmission.
A user-friendly technology interface facilitates all processes.
Organizations´ top managers enhance the engagement of professionals and funding reallocation.
Redefine targets and timelines and maturing of ecosystem through a multi-level strategy of organizational change.
Potential for learning or transfer
This is an eHealth strategy which helps to transform a regional health care system by the means of innovation. It is based on practical tools and models to put policy into practice so as get an integrated healthcare system with health professionals and patients. In fact, management of all data with the same application draws an exceptional opportunity to guide clinical decisions. Furthermore, working under the same unique procedures, clinical guidelines and getting alert system enable to perform deeper analysis about how the system works. In this sense, sharing the same electronic patient record has had a very positive impact on the quality of healthcare (across 21 hospitals and 300 health facilities) saving time and effort, and it allows improving clinical efficiency and productivity.
All tools developed into the strategy can be useful as examples to integrate in a healthcare system.
Please login to see the expert opinion of this good practice.