The Pescara ESCOs models support 3 projects (one on the Energy service agreements - EPC, ESC- implemented in a school of the municipality of Pescara
The ESCOs models allow that public and private words meet together to realize projects. In the Abruzzo Region 3 projects (one on the Energy service agreements - EPC, ESC- implemented in a school of the municipality of Pescara; one on the public-private partnership on energy efficiency of clear claps in a real estate of the municipality of Montesilvano; one on the public-private partnership on the swimming pool of Atessa) have been highlighted as good practices within the NEW FINANCE project (Interreg MED).
- Establishments of public-private partnership
- Realization of projects for buildings improvement (for example in term of energy efficiency) by public-private partner-ship
- Lower emissions
- reduction of public expenditure of the municipality
- Increased energy security and reduced dependence on foreign imports
- Outreach and awareness
Pescara used existing staff resources at the Region of Abruzzo to support the initiative
Evidence of success
- Municipality of Pescara: Seven condensing-type FONTECAL heat generators, installed at a cascade of a total power of 590 [kW].
- Municipality of Montesilvano: energy efficiency of clear claps in a real estate (replacement of closure of glasses, removal of existing window frames and replacement with new glass window frames with thermal transmittance lower than the one required by the current regulation);
- Atessa. solar heating for swimming pools and domestic hot water.
The key is one of publicity to municipalities
The ESCOs model in Italy is not so known and spread in territory; many people don’t know about this model or they are wary;
- Administrative and bureaucratic constraints - reluctance to employ new ideas.
Potential for learning or transfer
Track record of delivery from Pescara and Region of Abruzzo, happy to share their model of employment of ESCOs
- preliminary investigation to identify the possible improvements at different levels: engineering, building construction, and management;
- different private and public partnership and opportunities, thus sharing of experience, training and co-operation are essential.
- Sharing of experiences and events of training and in-formation on the model are crucial;
- The role of the region as mediator between ESCOs, banks, municipalities, etc… is strategic.