Advanced Coatings Labs are shared public/private infrastructures to support cooperation between SMEs and research and innovation infrastructure
Since its establishment in 2014, Advanced Coatings Labs have built extensive expertise, which consists of the following:
• Lab on Spray Technologies for plasma processing at the S.A.M. Metallizing Company
• Heat treatment and Chemistry Lab at the Central European Institute of Technology (CEITEC) at the Brno University of Technology
• Materials Science Lab at the CEITEC Nano infrastructures • Materials Science Lab at the Faculty of mechanical Engineer- ing at the Brno University of Technology
Main areas of interest are:
• application of advanced coatings for mechanical engineer- ing, automotive, space and aerospace, energy and biotech
• analytical expertise in the eld of material characterization and metallography.
Since its establishment in 2014, Advanced Coatings Labs have been funded with over than 4mio EUR into the equipment and built its personel capacity up to current 20 researchers with current 0,12mio EUR yearly expenditures.
Evidence of success
Since its establishment in 2014, Advanced Coatings Labs have achieved over 0,6mio EUR of contractual research in total which has been achieved in cooperation with over than 50 SMEs
Direct engagement is necessary for cooperation between SMEs and research and innovation infrastructures (RIIs). Without regular feedback from SMEs, there is literally no chance for RIIs to achieve any closer cooperation with SMEs. Essential confidence must be built.
Potential for learning or transfer
Direct in situ engagement of RIIS:
• organic connection between the science, application and production
• scientists working together with engineers and technicians
• online immediate feedback from the industry
• day by day business and in situ engagement
• local RIIs cooperates with local SME to produce global products and develop global applications
• direct cooperation is good basis for extended collaboration
Sharing public/private equipment:
• shared public/private infrastructures established to achieve applicable results with real impact
• public/private element balanced in terms of state aid
Please login to see the expert opinion of this good practice.