Science-Management Commercialization Program addressed to the Polish scientific community created to help bridge the gap between academia and business.
In Poland, we need to bring science closer to domesticprivate sector, so that it could develop dynamically. Polish scientists need to get a broader and deeper perspective of research, innovation and commercialization. Research institutions, innovation agencies and policymakers need advice and training in the field of knowledge transfer.
Thanks to the Program 500 persons completed a 9 week academic program taught at partnering universities from the Academic Ranking of World Universities. The subject of the training were: science and business cooperation, management of scientific research, commercialization of research results. A key component of the curriculum was the i-Teams project allowing to work in multidisciplinary teams and build commercial strategies. The participant 1 month after returning to Poland prepared a plan to improve the efficiency of the technology transfer using acquired skills and knowledge. Alumni of the TOP 500 Innovators set up The Association of TOP 500 Innovators - interdisciplinary platform of cooperation between academia and business.
Main stakeholders: Ministry of Science and Higher Education, Stanford University, University of California Berkeley, University of Cambridge, Polish universities including those from Lubelskie Region: Maria Curie Skłodowska University of Lublin, University of Life Sciences in Lublin, Lublin University of Technology, Medical University of Lublin, The John Paul II Catholic University of Lublin.
The program was financed by the Ministry of Science and Higher Education from the funds of the Human Capital Operational Program (ESF). The budget of the program reaches 9 million euro.
Evidence of success
A key outputs/results are:
1) commercial strategies build by each participant for real technologies developed by their own universities or research institutes,
2) plans to improve the efficiency of the technology transfer center using the knowledge and skills acquired during the program – prepare by each participant
3) The Association of TOP 500 Innovators - interdisciplinary platform of cooperation between representatives of science and technology transfer in Poland
Application process in participants own institutions was connected with the necessity to introduce organizational changes and the fact that the program was attended by individuals. The solution to this problem was set up The Association of TOP 500 as a supporting platform for innovators.
Potential for learning or transfer
The potential of good practice for learning or transfer is based on two points:
1) i-Teams project - a key component of the program allowing the scientists and transfer experts to work in multidisciplinary teams to build commercial strategies for real technologies developed by their own research units, using the knowledge and skills acquired during the Program,
2) The Association of TOP 500 Innovators as a interdisciplinary platform of cooperation in the field of technology transfer. The activities of the Association include promoting innovation, academic entrepreneurship, as well as commercialization of research results. The Association also actively cooperates with government institutions and public benefit organizations in developing the best environment for the cooperation between science and business. It has over 420 members, both scientists as well as technology transfer specialists from research institutions and technology transfer offices from all over Poland.
Please login to see the expert opinion of this good practice.