Fresh products and products close to the expiry date are donated by the Mass Market Retailer stores to the charitable organizations
The recovery from the points of sale of the large-scale distribution is one of the qualifying points of the action of Banco Alimentare della Lombardia primarily for the types of products recovered (mainly fresh products such as fruit, vegetables, bread, dairy products) as well as for the prevention of waste. In the past, the Point of Sale collected the products from the shelves 5-6 days in advance of the deadline, today we are at 1-2 days. The short residual life of the product requires a high logistical and distribution efficiency. The recovery operation, for the most part, is carried out directly by the Charitable Structures that reside in the vicinity of the Point of Sale.
The Food Bank of Lombardy provides the support and coordination of the whole process:
- takes care of relations with the donors
- support the recovery putting the charitable structures in contact with the closest sales points identifying the people in charge on both sides
- provide the administrative processes to support both legal and tax requirements
- provide the training, in particular the HACCP training
- follow the day by day execution through its volunteers
- when required, provides the required infrastructure
Refrigerated van and trucks
About 50 Volunteers to follow the Mass Market retailers and the charitable organizations
Training and HACCP certifications extend to all the volunteers
Administration processes to manage the tax and administrative legal requirements
Evidence of success
21 Mass Market Retailers active with 346 Stores,
2.662 Tons of food recovered and distributed to 221 charitable organization
Mass Market Retailers are structured companies requiring continuity of recovery guaranteed by charitable organizations. Sometimes the smaller no profit lack in organizations.
Potential for learning or transfer
Potential for transfer:
1. Processes followed for the collection, management and redistribution of the food, including the required infrastructure
2. People organization and training that needs to be extended to the charitable organization directly collecting the food
3. Contracts and Agreements model used between the different parts of the model: Company, Charitable organization and Banco Alimentare della Lombardia
4. legal and tax requirements in Italy
Please login to see the expert opinion of this good practice.