sTARTUp Day: the biggest business festival in the Baltics
sTARTUp Day is the biggest business festival in the Baltics bringing together thousands of attendees – startuppers and traditional entrepreneurs, experts and newbies, government and media representatives from at least 27 countries.
The festival has emerged to be one of the business cards of Tartu as a top entrepreneurship centre.
The purpose of the event is to create an attractive environment for businesses and startups in Tartu, enabling the innovative ideas to establish into successful business models as startups are brought together with investors. The inspiring event encourages entrepreneurship or at least encourages to consider the possible opportunities.
sTARTUp Day has evolved to a massive event, but it started just from a modest idea by the University of Tartu of merging all the small events into one. The international success just a couple of years later is a proof to succeed.
The budget for the event was over 100000 EUR plus in-kind expenses. Over 100 people including volunteers were included in the process.
Evidence of success
• Although 1000 visitors were waited for the first time, it turned out a 3000-visitor event.
• The number of speakers has doubled – from 40 to 80.
• The synergy between the stakeholders/business support ecosystems was created for future cooperation. Today, the group of organisers have at least one study trip per year to learn from other good practises.
• Future cooperation in creating the startup vibe in Tartu is ongoing.
Potential for learning or transfer
• How to make the effort and bring together stakeholders from traditional business sectors, IT and biotechnology, startups, business support organisations, government and media.
• The full process of design, organisation and managing, tailored to the current ecosystem, can be shared with the partners.