Municipality of Calvello has activated a territorial development strategy, based on its SEAP, with a strong community involvement, in the field of EE and RES
In 2010 Calvello joined "Covenant of mayors" and adopted SEAP with the aim of developing a new energy policy to allow citizens to come into direct contact with the opportunities and advantages deriving from a smart use of existing resources.
The Municipal area is included in the process of exploitation of Regional oil fields. From this carbon-based energy feature of the area, Calvello invested in RES to express the ambition of transition toward a Low Carbon Energy framework. With a strong community involvement, it promoted actions in the field of EE and RES applied on some strategic intervention areas:
● Innovative and sustainable energy production
● Public and private energy consumption and buildings renovation
In particular, the GP involves local users’ community to this renovation process, following the concept of ‘democratization of energy’ (e.g. economic contributions by the municipality for EE and RES interventions for individuals and small businesses). The renewal process has also triggered virtuous investment mechanisms in which local entrepreneurs could play a key role
The aim is to reduce CO2 emissions through:
- rationalization of energy consumption;
- energy optimization of wood maintenance waste;
- energy valorisation of residual gases and biogas from zootechnical activities;
- promotion of RES plants;
- raising awareness of the issues of energy sustainability;
- promotion of its territory, through territorial requalification and tourism development
The Municipality of Calvello uses its public funds mostly deriving from oil extraction royalties.
650,000 € invested by the administration for the objectives of the SEAP (e.g.: 2010-13 about 200.000 € from oil royalties for economic contributions for EE and RES for individuals and small businesses)
Evidence of success
● Energy from biomass for public facilities 31 tons CO2 equivalent saved, energy produced 244.4 Mwh
● Direct interventions (EE interventions, public lighting):185 tons CO2 saved
● Tons of CO2 saved thanks to indirect interventions: methane network 38.5; thermal building coats 247; Condensing boilers 5.75 ; PV systems for individuals and companies 1355 ; wind 802.2 tons per year.
Every year about 2802.06 tons of CO2 saved.
In 2016: 45.7% reduction in equivalent CO2 and 27.1% energy from RES
Potential for learning or transfer
The key elements for transferability of the GP in other contexts can be identified in the methods of involvement and information of the stakeholders who become the promoters of the process of energy renewal. The close collaboration between the municipality and the citizens, the strong awareness and sharing of the objectives and the relative strategies are the minimum elements to guarantee the exportation in other contexts.
Moreover it can be replicated in other EU territories and contexts, in fact it includes membership of a wider EU initiative (CoM) that is highly transferrable to other contexts.
Please login to see the expert opinion of this good practice.