Porto Carras resort implements waste water recycling methods and sustainable use of sewage sludge.
Porto Carras has been awarded with the Green Key Eco Label.
Circular economy practices already applied by the hotel management are the following;
1.Recycling wastewater to cover the golf course’ irrigational needs.
The resort uses a tertiary biological waste treatment plant (UV-Clorination). The treated water is transferred to 3 reservoirs with total capacity 40.000 m3 and then the treated water is used to cover the irrigation needs of the golf course. This practice is in line with the provision for combating water scarcity, as mentioned in EU Action Plan for Circular Economy.
2.Sustainable use of sewage sludge in agriculture. Porto Carras also has the largest organic vineyard in Greece, which covers 475 ha. In its tertiary biological waste treatment plant, the sewage sludge passes from a filter press and then is sorted and dried in order to be used as an organic fertiliser for the vineyards, as long as quality standards allow for it.
The main stakeholder of this practice is the hotel and vineyards organization. The organization itself is a main beneficiary of the results of the practice along with the local community, the visitors of the hotel and the environment.

Resources needed

N/A

Evidence of success

Reduced waste, reduced irrigational water consumption and increased capacity of produced fertiliser are the hard evidence of the successful application of the practice.

Difficulties encountered

The specific waste treatment plant treats the 80% of phosphates and nitrates. The remaining percentage of nitrates and phosphates (20%), which is overlaid in the bottom of the reservoirs, creates the eutrophication phenomenon.

Potential for learning or transfer

This practice is potentially interesting for other regions and municipalities, where there is interest regarding irrigational needs, waste management in massive tourist resorts or combined installations of biological waste production and agricultural production.
In particular, this practice can inspire public authorities to adopt methods for exploiting wastewater from municipal facilities as well as for reusing sewage sludge for own use or disseminating it to citizens for agricultural use after proper management. These methods could be adopted as good strategies in public policies at municipal or regional level.

Project
Main institution
Porto Carras Resort
Location
Aνατολική Μακεδονία, Θράκη, Greece (Ελλαδα)
Start Date
January 2010
End Date
Ongoing

Contact

Christos Karkanias Please login to contact the author.

Good Practices being followed by

Demetrio Antonio Zema

Mediterranea University of Reggio Calabria