Implementation of an experimental project for energy efficiency technologies and energy production from RES in social housing.
The project has been implemented by the Social Housing Agency of Autonomous Region of Sardinia (AREA) with the aim of realizing three experimental green buildings. The buildings are located in Carbonia, and each of them comprises four accommodation units for a total of twelve units. The main characteristics of the project are:
• High thermal insulation;
• Ventilated roof,
• Greenhouses in units called “SIT +” with glazed roof and walls, which can be completely opened during the summer months;
• Photovoltaic systems planned for self consumption ;
• Integrated natural ventilation devices;
• Integrated heat pumps for combined space conditioning and water heating;
• Eco-friendly building materials
• Energy Monitoring system, that will allow to evaluate the effectiveness of different design choices adopted in the three realized buildings.
The three buildings differ mainly for the envelope construction and the thermal transmittance characteristics of the external walls as shown below:
- Building A characterised by walls with external insulation layer;
- Building B characterised by multilayer walls with cavity ventilation;
- Bulding C characterised by multilayer walls with air cavity (not ventilated).
Energy production from RES, is guaranteed by 5 photovoltaic plants, that were installed on the roof top of each building, with a capacity of 2 kWp for each PV system and an installed total capacity of 30 kWp.
Total amount for the intervention (buildings design and construction): 1.607.115,48 €. The project was financed through the "Neighbourhood Contract II" Program based on Ministerial and Regional funds.
Evidence of success
The estimated annual energy production is about 2.100 kWh for each PV system.
Total energy production: 10.500 kWh/year
Energy saving target : 75%, in comparison to traditional social housing constructions realized by the Agency.
Cost saving: 950,00 €/year
Pay Back Time: 14 years
CO2 emissions reduction: 10 t/year
The main issues for the implementation of the project were related to the burocratic aspect of the project and not to the construction itself.
During the realization phase several skills were acquired in the field of:
• work supervision
• innovative installations
• administrative management.
Potential for learning or transfer
The project is replicable in other residential buildings throughout the Region. The designers involved in the project improved their knowledge in the design of green building construction and energy saving devices and plants, making it easier to implement future projects.
The project involved the installation of a monitoring system that will allow to evaluate the effectiveness of the different design choices adopted in the three construction typologies (A, B and C).
The monitoring activity, which must include both the photovoltaic and ventilation systems as well as the parameters related to the envelope thermal characteristics, will be useful for the implementation and the optimization of other future projects.
Please login to see the expert opinion of this good practice.