Creation of a small residential building with zero CO2 emissions due to energy use in Chania Prefecture
1. The practice is related with the Creation of a small zero CO2 emissions residential building due to energy use.
2. It is directly connected with the objectives of the project.
3. The stakeholders and beneficiaries are the owners and the tenants in the apartment.
4. Renewable energy systems installed in the building include the use of solar thermal energy , solar-PV and locally produced solid biomass ( olive tree wood). Generated solar electricity offsets annually the grid electricity consumption.
5. The project was initiated by the owner of the building and it was implemented only in this building in order to test its performance. There are not similar buildings as far as we know in Crete.
The total cost of renewable energy technologies installed was 14,600 € or 112.3 €/m2 of covered surface. The cost was paid by the owner of the building.In the creation of the renewable energy systems the owner and the tenant of the building as well as the company installing them have been involved.
Evidence of success
The renewable energy systems operate smoothly so far. There is not consumption of fossil fuels for heat production ( space heating and hot water) and the solar-PV electricity generated and injected into the grid offsets the grid electricity consumed annually. Maintenance of the energy systems is not difficult. Operating costs are related with solid biomass cost and the maintenance costs.
There were not any difficulties in the implementation of the project. The main lesson learned is that the creation of residential buildings with zero CO2 emissions in Mediterranean region is not difficult neither costly.
Potential for learning or transfer
We believe that the abovementioned installation is a good practice in our territory and it could be transferred in other territories as well because of
a) The renewable systems used are mature , reliable and cost effective
b) The installation cost of those systems is relative low compared with the construction cost of the building
c) The operating cost is also low compared with the cost of using fossil fuels instead of renewable energies
d) The same technologies could be used in other territories with high solar irradiance and availability of solid biomass resources.