A kitchen incubator is a facility which meets all sanitary requirements and is well equipped for small-scale food processing.
The problem addressed:
1) A lot of farms are small and do not produce on market
2) There is hidden unemployment and high risk of poverty on rural areas
3) The migration of non-metropolitan youth towards the cities
4) Growing demand for healthy food and food processing require high sanitary
standards – new and significantly improved products (goods and services) and
production process are needed
5) Weak cooperation between farmers
6) Small profitability of direct selling of rural products
7) Industry food is anonymous and less healthy.
There is a possibility to create incubators to process local rural products (kachen incubators) Polish Government under Rural Development Programme (RDP) 2014-2020 (Measure 19 - LEADER/CLLD) - implemented in every region in Poland.
A kitchen incubator is a facility which meets all sanitary requirements and is well equipped for small-scale food processing. The main activity of the kitchen Incubator is a service provision of rental by the hour of kitchen space and equipment. It is also training and advisory services on agro-food processing and food preparation. They can help their clients to sell their products. The incubator creates the opportunity to create new products (testing) and services. A creation of kitchen incubators have to be put by a Local Action Group (LAG) into the Local Development Strategy (LDS). As LDS is approved for realization, LAG calls for
proposals and assesses them.
Max. support for one project of kitchen incubator is 116 000,- Euro. The promotor of facility for profit can obtain max. 70% of total costs of project; promotors of non-profit facilities can obtain up 100% of costs.
Evidence of success
The first operating incubator enables the production of 1 social cooperative and more big cooperation for individual and group of farmers (process innovation).
Potential for learning or transfer
This is an example useful especially for farmers and micro and small and medium enterprises from rural areas. The most important pluses are:
1. It’s construction in forces cooperation between farmers and small food producers (kitchen incubator is like a cluster in the food area)
2. There is possibility to study visits of existing kitchen incubators
3. It is tasty subject
4. It is transferable to another regions, which have another local production
5. Healthy food is very important and increasingly needed in every EU country.
Please login to see the expert opinion of this good practice.