Collective Actions internationalization, is a contribution to the improvement of surrounding conditions for the competitiveness and internationalization of SME
The Collective Actions support system - internationalization projects have these specific objectives:
- Promote the international recognition of the Portuguese/regional products/services
- Promote, indirectly, the success of the internationalization process of SME
- Improve the knowledge about new markets
- Increase the collective initiatives of inter-enterprise cooperation
The projects should contribute to the improvement of surrounding conditions for companies and their competitiveness.
The typology of actions is:
- Prospection, knowledge and access to new markets;
- Collaborative processes of internationalization, knowledge sharing and capacity building for internationalization (e.g. partnerships with counterparts – business associations, Chambers of Commerce and industry – whose outputs creating scripts, manuals, information (etc.);
- Integrated international promotion of Portuguese goods and services;
- International promotion of touristic destines and other products, equipment’s and regions resources.
Main Stakeholders: AICEP Portugal Global, E.P.E. (Agency for investment and foreign trade of Portugal), and IAPMEI (National public Institute for the SME support).
Beneficiaries: Agencies and public entities, Business Associations and other support services organizations (non-profit).
Platform online for Alentejo 2020, for submission of the applications and processing of all legal proceedings. Multidisciplinary technical team for analysis of applications (ALENTEJO 2020 and AICEP).
2 contests were supplied with the available budget of 5 M (3 + 2) until the end of 2017.
Evidence of success
This measure reveals to be helpful to increase de awareness of the SME to the internationalization process, and to improve the conditions to the internationalization of the products/services of the region Alentejo. It also increases the international recognition of the region attractiveness for investment, and to have information and knowledge about foreign markets that can be interesting for the region.
Nº of proposals: 27
Projects approved: 13
The fact that there is no specific regional strategy of internationalization can be a challenge.
The business associations develop exploratory work of markets, thereby facilitating prospection of the markets for the SME. These is complementary and can improve the results.
Potential for learning or transfer
These types of action are important because they allow the SME to indirectly beneficiate from collective strategies of internationalization.
GP allows to respond to common problems of companies in European regions, arising from the small size, the weak appetite for cooperation and the needs of strengthening technical and management capacity, particularly in immaterial domains, at the level of organization and international marketing.
We consider this support system as extremely important for the internationalization of companies not only in Alentejo region, but in many European regions, in particular for micro-enterprises that do not have financial and physical capacity to research foreign markets and promote region products.