Science and Technology park with the main objective to increase the innovation capacity of the country facilitating the exchange of experience.
The total area of the park is 57 000 m2, 17 000 sq.m buildings. The main components of the Sofia Tech Park are:
- The laboratory complex has 11 high-tech laboratories specializing in different areas of science such as high performance computing, virtual reality, rapid prototyping, cyber security, bioinformatics etc.
The labs are: Bioinformatics lab BioInfoTech; BioPharm Lab Complex with 3 labs; "Artificial Intelligence and CAD systems," laboratory; "Intelligent communication infrastructures" laboratory; laboratory micronanotehnologies (MINOLab); virtual and augmented reality lab; cybersecurity lab; 3D creativity and new products rapid prototyping (use of innovative 3D printers, only 2 already exist in Europe); high performance computing lab;
-The incubator supports the development of the innovative startup and spin-off companies whose main activities fall within the focus areas of the park: ICT, life sciences and biotechnology, green energy and clean technologies. The companies have access to office space, mentoring and a range of services.
-The innovation forum space for meetings and events on topics related to technology, innovation, entrepreneurship, modern and multifunctional building with 1,000 seats.
-The experimentarium and visitors centre: interactive innovation center for the general public and in particular for children and students with an interest in science and technoogy
- park and sports complex
Phase 1 –
- Funded: OP “Competitiveness” 2007-2013
- Investments: €41,3 m
- Construction works of Lab complex, Incubator, Forum, Parking, Sport complex and Museum buildings;
Phase 2 -
- Funded: OP “Innovation and competitiveness” 2014-2020
- Investments: €6.3 m
Evidence of success
Labs: More than 20 new scientific project applications , 11 internal research projects
Incubator: 96 % occupancy rate of office space, of which 69% rented by start ups, 20 hi-tech startups/ SMEs out of 27 companies accommodated
Forum: one of the most preferred venues for national and international events; 65 events organized and visited by more than 25,000 people
Experimentarium: 3-4 temporary events & exhibitions in 2017-2018
Potential for learning or transfer
The created model is considered as good practice that could be transferred because of the following factors:
- Strategic vision for technology and knowledge-based economy
- Creating a sustainable model for research, innovation and commercialization
- Synergies within the Park components and stakeholders: government, science&education, industries plus NGOs, universities, venture funding, etc.
- Developing an ecosystem to support an innovative society and entrepreneurial culture
- Wide range of Innovation services
- Capacity building
- Creating possibilities for Know-how sharing and technology transfer
- Commercialization of research
- Creating opportunities for linking academic, business and science
Please login to see the expert opinion of this good practice.