A pragmatic financing solution dramatically reduced the costs of renovation for residents while significantly improving the building’s energy efficiency
The renovation of a building for seniors and people with low incomes could have placed a major burden on vulnerable residents. A pragmatic financing solution developed in close coordination with residents reduced costs, while significantly improving the building’s resource efficiency.
By renting out rooftop space to TV and radio companies, the cost of renovation was limited to just 0.07€/m2 a month for residents. This strongly limited the risk of residents being priced out of their homes and gentrification in the building. It was made possible by listening to the local demand for antenna space and turning it into a benefit for the residents.
Energy consumption was reduced from 134 kWh/m2a to 89 kWh/ m2a in the building, savings of 34%. In terms of building improvements, this was achieved through a number of measures. These included the reconstruction of exterior walls to include thermal insulation, the replacement of wood framed windows with PVC windows that were double- or triple-paned, depending on their location and improved roof insulation.
Finally, consumption savings will limit energy poverty. Costs will be kept down by keeping natural gas as the fuel for the heating system. It is one of the cheapest energy sources in Croatia. Continuing on the economic front, local contractors were employed for the retrofit which supported the local economy.

Resources needed

750,000 € to retrofit the building, which consisted of 35 dwellings for seniors with low income. The Fund for Environmental Protection and Energy Efficiency was used to secure 40% of the total investment, while the remaining 60% was funded by the co-owners of the building.

Evidence of success

Energy use was reduced from 134 kWh/m2a to 89 kWh/m2a, a reduction of 34%, at a cost of only 0,07 €/m2. This significantly limited the building’s turnover rate pre- and post-renovation.

Potential for learning or transfer

By consulting residents and assessing local economic opportunities, an innovative way of creating costs savings when retrofitting and greening housing for vulnerable tenants was achieved. That is what this practice illustrates – to be observant of the local demand and turn it into a benefit for the residents and the building itself.

Please login to see the expert opinion of this good practice.

Main institution
Monel Ltd.
Location
Jadranska Hrvatska, Croatia (Hrvatska)
Start Date
April 2015
End Date
November 2015

Contact

Please login to contact the author.