This year, a team of external evaluators assessed once more the overall performance of the Interreg Europe programme, both in terms of its management and procedures, and the programme's results. It was an update of the evaluation carried out in 2018.
This time, the evaluators looked mainly into the results and the impact of the programme. On the operational side, they again checked the management and procedures, but focused mainly on the recommendations for the future programme being drafted at the moment.
This second external evaluation confirmed the excellent performance of the programme both in operational terms and in terms of impact. According to the evaluation, the programme will meet and even exceed its initial objectives:
- As of October 2020, projects have already demonstrated the improvement of 433 regional development policies as a direct result of the cooperation. You can find out more about our project results here.
- 716 million euros of local, regional or national funds has been mobilised to implement these improvements in the regions, which is well on track towards the target of 1.3 billion euros to be moblised by the end of the programme in 2023. It demonstrates a high added-value and leverage effect of Interreg Europe, which represents only 0.001% of the cohesion policy with its current budget of 359 million but has already turned 1 euro put in the programme into 2 euros invested in improved policy measures.
- Interreg Europe contributes to better delivering RIS3 and promoting smart growth as well as to the Europe 2020 priorities on inclusive and sustainable growth.
The evaluators pointed out a number of strengths of the programme. Among them:
- wide and active community (18,000 members)
- innovative policy learning (Policy Learning Platform)
- broad thematic coverage
The evaluators prepared a list of recommendations, mainly for the future programme. Many of them have already been discussed by the programming committee and included in the draft Interreg Europe programme for 2021-2027. You can find the latest news about the programming 2021-2027 here.
The 2020 evaluation ran between February and June. In September, the evaluators presented their findings to the Interreg Europe monitoring committee, which approved the final evaluation report. You can find the full report here
BIOREGIO - Bio-based Circular Economy Action Plan implementation and monitoring in Greece.
Financial instruments and finances
How to make financial instruments work for first-time entrepreneurs?
Yesterday, I prepared for you a review of the first da...
The results of the CHRISTA Project were presented at the 12th CultureInvest Congress, on 26 November 2020.