Greetings from Kaunas, Lithuania, where we travelled for our first TLJ. This Baltic country, with the capital-city Vilnius, is actively involved in LCA4Regions. Read more about the Lithuanian perspective on LC expertise and implementation, and their expected improvements.
Lithuania ID card
- Capital: Vilnius
- Population app. 3 million
- Policy instrument priority axis: Environment, sustainable use of natural resources and adaptation to climate change
- Economy: Manufacturing, Agriculture, ICT
- Expectations: use of investments to minimise the damage made by intensive economic activities; support more active monitoring and impact assessment. LCA for existing and new innovations.
- Promising pillars: Resource-efficiency, Waste & Material Flows (MF), Training and capacity building
- To improve: Public procurement, as well as Resource-efficiency, Waste & Material Flows (MF)
- Focus for improvement: structural change, improved governance, new projects
- LC experience: resource-efficiency , transport sharing, MF analysis in composting facilities, Eco labels (waste to energy plant), container deposit scheme.
Partner in LCA4Regions: KTU
The Kaunas University of Technology is the largest technical university in the Baltic States (started in 1922), composed by nine faculties and 8 research institutions. It is situated in Kaunas, the second largest city of Lithuania, which is a significant center of industry, transport, science, and culture.
The research areas of the Institute of Environmental Engineering are mainly Sustainable development, Circular economy, Resource efficiency and Ccleaner production, Smart and Ssustainable cities, Eco design, Life cycle assessment, Energy efficiency and Renewable energy sources, Chemicals risk management, Waste management.
KTU - Team
Prof. Dr. Jolanta Dvarionienė
leader of the Research Group on Resource efficiency and Cleaner production; an engineer by profession has experience in a number of EU Projects including FP5, FP6, FP7, H2020, LIFE, Interreg IVC, Interreg Europe, Baltic Sea Region and etc.;
Dr. Fritz Balkau
External expert responsible for Exchange of Experience in the project; 1999 - 2005 - Head,
Sustainable Production & Consumption, United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) Paris;