To tackle mobility issues systematically, many cities write up a Sustainable Urban Mobility Plan (SUMP). Here is the summary of the Sustainable Urban Mobility Plan for Buzau town, which lies in Romania, as an example of good practice.
The SUMP elaborated by Buzau Municipality is a strategic document elaborated covering the period of 2016-2030 and having as main objective to serve the mobility needs of both citizens and businesses, covering all the transport ways, public or private, in Buzau town.
The main objectives of Buzau SUMP are:
- To assure accessibility for the persons, by using different ways of transport to all the destinations;
- To assure security to all the citizens during the transport;
- To assure a healthy environment, by decreasing the carbon emissions and pollution, including noise pollution;
- To assure economic efficiency in transport;
- To increase the quality of urban environment.
The sustainable urban mobility Plan of Buzau municipality is in line with Romania’s Territorial Development Strategy, the Buzau County Sustainable Urban Mobility Plan and the General Urban Plan.
The following measures are proposed in order to reach the objectives:
- Procurement of new buses: with automatic readers for the tickets, electronic information system of passengers, video and GPS monitoring, free WI-FI;
- Implementation of an E-ticketing system;
- Modern stations;
- Modern command center for public transport;
- Intelligent traffic monitoring system;
- Automatic system for alternative transport way, such as automatic system for hiring bikes.
On 14th of November 2018, the first stakeholder meeting with representatives of Buzau Municipality and Trans Bus Buzau (public transport company) took place in the framework of INNOTRANS. The SUMP was analyzed in detail and everybody came to the conclusion that it meets the INTERREG IV C requirements in order to become a Good Practice to be shared with INNOTRANS project partners.