In relation to the third project meeting of EV Energy in Stockholm (Sweden), a study visit was organised on 12th of April 2018. The EV Energy group (local and external stakeholders) visited one of Stockholm’s most recent urban districts: Hammarby Sjöstad. The transport to and from the venue at Smart City Sweden was done with a fully electric bus.
At the venue, the visitor group was welcomed by Allan Larsson, coordinator of Hammarby Sjöstad 2.0 and ElectriCITY. His presentation is available at www.rufe.se.
Hammarby Sjöstad – a sustainable model district
Hammarby Sjöstad has been one of Stockholm’s biggest urban development project for many years (since 1996). This urban district is a natural continuation of Stockholm’s inner city, and this has shaped the city layout, densities, urban functions and the design of the buildings.
Hammarby Sjöstad functions as a pilot project. It is setting the stage for sustainable city development. There are three major concepts from Hammarby Sjöstad that significantly formed its development strategy:
- “Twice as good” Environmental Goals: Establishing the strong environmental goal of making everything “twice as good” in order to push the development’s sustainability objectives.
- Environmental Load Profile: Creating the Environmental Load Profile (ELP), which allows for monitoring and gives feedback on the environmental performance of the built environment.
- The Hammarby Model: Basing the project on the Hammarby Model, which uses resources in a cyclical loop, ensuring that the system is based on a life-cycle assessment and maximises renewable resources usage.
Hammarby Sjöstad 2.0 and ElectriCITY
Hammarby Sjöstad 2.0 is the trademark for an initiative in one of the most ambitious city development projects in the world. It is a citizen driven project to take Hammarby Sjöstad to the next level of innovation for smart, ICT-driven and sustainable urban development.
Pictures: Allan Larsson, project coordinator of ElectriCITY and study visit group, Pictures: Michael Erman
Five areas of importance for climate, energy, environment, with the aim of making Hammarby Sjöstad a demo city for sustainability, have been selected:
- Smart and renewable energy in our buildings
- Electric cars, busses, trucks, ferries and bicycles
- Circular economy in waste management
- Water management
- Citizens’ communication platform
ElectriCITY includes 35 enterprises, research institutes, the City of Stockholm and NGOs. Its ambition is to develop Hammarby Sjöstad into “an urban living lab” for research projects and as an export- and investment platform for business. The district shall be lifted onto the next level of innovation for sustainable city development – Hammarby Sjöstad 2.0. – in 2020 and beyond.
Example of public charging street – installation in Hammarby Sjöstad
The City of Stockholm has decided to support the fast and sturdy increase of public charging stations on the City’s territory. Political decisions have been made to guarantee a continuous improvement and promotion of e-mobility within the city. The goal is to have 500 charging points by 2020 (April 2018: 110 at 20 locations).
Public charging on streets have been established throughout the city and even in Hammarby Sjöstad where one of these facilities was visited by the EV Energy group.
Facts about charging: Access right agreements of 3 – 5 years. Its fast charging standards are CHAdeMO, CCS and AC 43, normal charging is possible in the range 3 of 3.7 – 22 kW. All data about charging is given to the city which makes it possible to evaluate the development.
Fast charging: Free parking (30 min), electricity 3 – 3,40 SEK/minute and mobile app, RFID-badge, SMS, special card, credit card
Normal charging: Regular parking fee, 3 hours during the day (7-19) and all night 3 SEK/kWh
The most important lessons learnt so far with these street charging installations are:
- It must be possible to add more charging later
- Cars must have its front or back towards the fast charger
- Close to coffee shops and other services is an advantage
- Important to guarantee good lights conditions (safety)
- Colour? Grey is neutral.
- Condition of operation: at least 90% of the time or the contract can be lost
- Enough room to clean the sidewalks
- Signs and legal aspects are still complicated
Pictures showing parts of the group in front of charging street, expert: Eva Sunnerstedt Pictures: Michael Erman, April 2018