By the year 2020 the number of connected devices across all technologies will reach 20.6 billion. This new wave of connectivity goes beyond laptops and smartphones -it is moving towards connected cars, smart homes, connected wearables, smart cities, connected healthcare and the development of smart production processes and products.
San Sebastian Municipality, in cooperation with Ceit-IK4 (a non-profit research centre created by the University of Navarra), has launched a new initiative to involve young researchers in Internet of Things projects.
Ernesto Gasco, Councillor for Economic Promotion at San Sebastián Municipality (right side) and AlejoAvello CEO at Ceit-IK4.
The IoT Space Initiative is an open laboratory for promoting training and innovation among young researchers working on real projects related to the concepts deployed by the Internet of Things (IoT). The main objective is to create a common space where researchers and students can work together on challenges through the convergence and understanding of information & Communication Technologies applied to both the Industry and Society.
By implementing ample connectivity in the IoTSpace, collecting, storing and interpreting data will allow young researchers to work further to develop Smart Processes & Products, Smart Transport & Cities, Additive Manufacturing, Collaborative Cyber-Physical Systems and Vision & Augmented Reality.
The IOT Space is implemented within the local strategy “Connecting Talent”, that aims to transform and consolidate San Sebastian as a pole of innovation and knowledge, through the development, retention and attraction of talent.
- Providing 6 months placements for young researchers to collaborate in IoT projects with the trip expenses and accommodation provided (8.000 euro per person).
- Every year, 6 full time stages abroad will be held (4.000 euro per grant), as well as 6 new training contracts.
- Establishing a network of Universities, technologycentres and European companies forcollaboration in IoT projects.
- Promoting San Sebastian as a city of knowledge and a meeting point of IoT projects.
- Already delivered results:
1. Degree Projects: 21 delivered / 9 on going.
2. Master Projects: 3 delivered / 3 on going.
3. International Stage: 3 delivered / 2 expected in early 2018.
4. First Contract: 1 under negotiation / 3 expected during 2018.
For Further information on IOT Initiative: