The second thematic event focused on ‘interim landfill use. It took place in Utrecht and Almere on June 5-6, 2018.
The event started on Tuesday June 5 with a stakeholder meeting, this is a public session opened to partners, stakeholders and experts. In the late afternoon a site visit to the landfill sites Nedereindse plassen was organised.
On Wednesday June 6 the thematic seminar continued with the partners and presenting stakeholders. The Dutch sustainable landfill management philosophy and the case Braambergen started the discussion, followed by some inspiring presentations.
1. Malagrotta Judgement
2. Good Practices Handbook
3. Mapping Report
4. Preparatory session for next thematic event in The Netherlands
Presentations of the stakeholder meeting:
• Temporay storage. Heijo Scharf and Martin L’Annee de Betrancourt.
• Sustainable area development. Erik Kuiper.
• Mining for area development. Hans Geusebroek.
• Accumulation of future values. Ron Nap, Jurgen van der Heijden and Marcel Rozing.
Presentations of the thematic seminar on interim landfill use:
• Introduction sustainable landfill management: Policy considerations for regions and the state. Geert-Jan ten Napel (Province of Flevoland).
• The development of leachate target values for sustainable landfill management. Timo Heimovaara (TU Delft) on behalf of Rob Coomans (WUR).
• Don't isolate, but stabilise! Execution of full-scale pilots, introduction Sustainable Landfill Management. Heijo Scharff (Afvalzorg).
• Measurements inside the waste body. Timo Heimovaara (TU Delft).
• Landfill Mining: stability and operation. Angel Martinez Parra (Ferrovial Services) .
• Maximizing Landfill Capacity by Vertical Expansion. Daniele Cocca (Frisoli).
• A whole lotta resources. Eddy Wille (OVAM).
• What a waste. Jan Frank Mars (Rijkswaterstaat).
September 25-26, 2018 in Larnaca (Cyprus): The third thematic event will focus on the financial aspects of landfill management projects. Please contact you regional contactperson for more information.