This joint workshop will provide an overview on initiatives and progress made to date on three EU landfill mining/management funded projects (SMART GROUND, RAWFILL and COCOON) along with tools to assess the suitability and feasibility of landfill mining, recovery methods and approaches with the key technical, environmental and economic considerations explored. Discussion will also take place on the issues surrounding project development, exploring how to minimise environmental impacts, including remaining issues over environmental contamination, emissions and noise in local communities - as well as the future of regulatory frameworks to address these concerns.
08:30 Arrival, registration and coffee
09:20 Welcome - Eddy Wille (OVAM)
09:30 Chair’s Opening address – Dr. Stuart Wagland (Cranfield University)
09:40 SMART GROUND project background - Marco de la Feld (ENCO) – SMART GROUND project coordinator
9:55 SMART GROUND approach and pilot studies – Dr. Giovanna Dino (University of Turin)
10:15 SMART GROUND databank overview – Jorge Lopez (ATOS)
10:35 SMART GROUND Decision Support Tools – Prof. Frederic Coulon (Cranfield)
10:55 Question and Answer Session
11:15 Coffee break in the networking area
11:40 RAWFILL project overview and progress – Dr. Claudia Neculau (Spaque)/ Renaud Derijdt (Atrasol)
12:00 COCOON project overview and progress – Dr. Annick Vastiau (i-Cleantech Vlaanderen)/ Eddy Wille (OVAM)
12:20: Discussion – Next steps
14:30 Workshop ends
Benefits of attending
- Discover what local authorities need to have in place to meet demand in landfill mining and what evidence is required to help reach the best decisions for their local areas.
- Gain a greater understanding of landfill mining project, planning and industry developments.
- Hear about the environmental regulation and legislation and new rules for determining applications.
- Leading academics explaining concerns and the potential benefits to the community and to the EU economy for enhanced landfill mining.
- Benefit from expert views and independent evidence to inform comprehensive decision-making and avoid costly appeals.
- Hear about operator’s plans moving forward on where they are looking to invest and to what level over the next twelve months and beyond.
- Discuss what can be done to minimise environmental impacts.
- How to deal with public concerns and effectively communicating with your community.
- Take advantage of knowledge sharing and professional networking.