CHERISH workshop on cultural heritage in Coastal Europe during the 18th European Week of Regions and Cities
Tue 13, October 2020 / 09:30 - 11:00
The workshop shares experiences and policy improvements developed or discovered within the Interreg Europe CHERISH project, which aims to create opportunities for regional growth through the promotion of cultural heritage of fishing communities. The workshop highlights the positive impact of heritage protection and promotion in regional policy instruments and the positive change at local and regional level: heritage can be a lever for the sustainable development of coastal communities. The workshop is structured as follows:
- a brief introduction to the project consortium and its transnational dimension (by the CHERISH project manager Ms. Roos Galjaard)
- Ms. Eudokia Balamou (Larnaca and Farmagusta Districts Development Agency/Flag Larnaca and Famagusta, CY): regional policy instruments including heritage preservation and tourism as new economic opportunities.
- Ms. Alexandra Roeger (Council Vice-president of Esposende Municipality PT): AMAReMAR social community project, where heritage is the starting point to strengthening the social fabric and promoting the cultural identity of marginalised communities.
- Mr. Tero Mustonen (Snowchange, FI) will talk about the importance of fisheries' Traditional Ecological Knowledge (TEK). In the presentation on Traditonal Ecological Knowledge Tero Mustonen will cover the importance of youth and working with youngsters for the preservation of the cultural heritage of fishing communities.
- Ms. Io Chatzivaryti (ΕU Programmes Advisor, Kavala, EL) will present the cooperation with the HORIZON 2020 Pericles project on preserving the endangered lagoon fishing traditions and local knowledge in the Natura 2000 Nestos delta.
The audience will be involved (including using live polls) on the strategic role of regional policy instruments and on the transferability of the best practices to other EU regions.
You can register here: https://europa.eu/regions-and-cities/programme/sessions/1348_en