The 3rd CHERISH Interregional Learning and Exchange of Experience Event (ILEEE 3) will take place in Pescara, Abruzzo Region from July 3-5. During this event partners will be informed about the efforts of the Abruzzo Region Rural Development and Fishery Policies Department regarding the safeguarding and promotion of cultural heritage. Analysis of the area shows that recent efforts have already proven to be successful in attracting more youth, preserving fishing structures, and conserving the history of the fishing communities. Therefore, it will be very interesting to see those efforts in action. The ILEEE will consist of study visits during which story-telling by the local fishing communities is an important element, and during working sessions the practices in the Abruzzo region will be peer reviewed.
Amongst other things, participants will be visiting:
- the “Museo diffuso” of local fishery traditions by FLAG Costa di Pescara
- the good practice “Ecomuseum of the Sea and Fishery of Martinsicuro”
- the FLAG Costa Blu and site visit to “Caliscendi"
- Port of Ortona: presentation of the good practice “Fishing Tourism” by the FLAG Costa dei Trabocchi and fishing tourism experience aboard a local fishing vessel
- Visit to the Trabocco Turchino in San Vito Chietino and presentation of the FLAG Costa dei Trabocchi and walk along the Costa dei Trabocchi
- the fishermen’s park, photo exhibition, meeting with the fishermen association and Story Telling by the FLAG Costa di Pescara
The Friday is dedicated to the peer review and the opening of the Cala Lenta Festival, which takes place from July 5-7. Cala Lenta is a three days event organized by Slow Food Abruzzo with festivities and activities dedicated to the marine culture along the central Italian region’s Adriatic coast and the unique "trabocchi" fishing structures. In addition to the trabocchi, Cala Lenta focuses on small-scale fisheries, and showcases examples of environmentally sustainable fishing, with particular attention on pesce azzuro – smaller species from the Mediterranean. Market of Taste with excellent products from the trabocchi coast the hinterland, as well as Taste Workshops, Street Food vendors, Theater of Taste, meetings and conferences are usually organized within this event. This year, the Cala Lenta initiative celebrate its 10th edition and therefore it will be a moment of analysis: what it has produced for the territory, how the fishing community and the local community benefited from this initiative, what have been its effects and especially what changes it has made, what it has generated for the economy and local people transforming a fishing gear into a "tourist product " and a regional brand ("Costa dei Trabocchi"). Everything will be assessed with a prospective vision: what will be the objectives of the second life cycle of this event?
For the draft programme check here.