Latvia is an emerging tourism destination, with many natural resources and a rich cultural heritage. Tourism policy in Latvia is designed to promote development of domestic and international tourism, by increasing the competitiveness of the tourism industry and export of tourism services. Therefore, the overall goal of the Action Plan is to rise the competitiveness of the tourism SMEs, by focusing on private and public partnerships and exploring new possibilities for developing tourism products with high added value.
The Action Plan was approved on 30th March 2020. The main actions are:
- Support for Development of New Tourism Products
- Improved Clusters Program for Tourism Industry
- MICE Events Management System
During the 1st quarter of 2020 the following steps have been taken:
- Changes for the Operational Program “Growth and Employment” have been proposed in order to support local tourism product development (Action 1, activity 1). These changes will have to be approved by the European Commission.
- A detailed analysis of the Clusters Program 2014 – 2020 has been carried out. (Action 2, activity 1).
- An intensive work has been started regarding the MICE development programs. Currently we are working on allocating extra budget for this purpose. It is an ongoing process (Action 3).