Unity makes strength. This motto may apply to the Portuguese Plastics Pact, the collaborative platform and of innovation that unites different stakeholders from the Portuguese plastics value chain. The Portuguese Plastics Pact is being promoted by Smart Waste Portugal Association, with the support of the Portuguese Ministry of Environment and Climate Action, and belongs to the Ellen MacArthur Foundation’s Plastics Pact network.
The Portuguese Plastics Pact pretends to establish a common vision to promote the transition for a plastic’s circular economy, through ambitious goals and targets until 2025. Some of these targets that the members of Portuguese Plastics Pact are committed are:
- Define by 2020 a list of single-use plastic items deemed problematic or unnecessary and define measures for their elimination, through redesign, innovation or alternative (reuse) delivery models.
- Ensure that 100% of plastic packaging is reusable, recyclable, or compostable.
- Ensure 70%, or higher, of plastic packaging effectively recycled, by increasing collection and recycling.
- Incorporate, on average, 30% of recycled plastic in new plastic packaging.
- Promote consumer awareness and education activities (current and future) for the circular use of plastics.
Pedro São Simão, the coordinator from Smart Waste Portugal Association, was invited to present the Portuguese Plastics Pact on the 3rd Interregional Learning Event (ILE) of the CAPonLITTER project, hosted by PP3 – IRENA, on the past 1 October 2020. Pedro has presented the Portuguese Plastics Pact, its goals and objectives, its working groups, and some of their activities that already took place.
Launching Event of the Portuguese Plastics Pact, on February 2020. (©Pacto Português para os Plásticos)
Currently, the Portuguese Plastics Pact already has more than 90 members, has the High Patronage of the President of the Portuguese Republic and the institutional support of the Portuguese Ministries of Environment and Climate Action, of Economy and Digital Transition, and of the Sea.